Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lessons Learned!

Life is just one of those crazy events that happens to you when you are busy doing or thinking about something else.  Over the years I have had a few times when I have asked myself, "Why did you do that?'  Sometimes I have answers and sometimes I don't.  Often I just kick myself around the block a couple of times and just try to remember the lesson I can learn from  a mistake or even a serendipitous event. 
Some of these lessons were learned the hard way and some I wish I had known in earlier...........Hmmmmm. I gave a lesson at Relief Society once on Lessons Learned.  I made a nice pamphlet to hand out and didn't keep a copy for myself.  Now I will have it on my blog where I can find it. At any rate here are some lessons I have learned.

1.  Never serve pink punch or give the kids pink or red Popsicles.  You just don't have to do it.  Saves a lot of grief if you have carpet.  (And you thought these were going to be profound.)

2.  Never buy a glass top table for the patio or deck.  Dirt gets under the ledge and is difficult to clean.

3.  Always take the time to make your bed.  You can even trick yourself.  The rest of the room can be a mess and if the bed is made, it just looks better.

4.  Do something fun everyday.  Even if you have to do it by yourself.  (You are good company after all.)
5.  Nothing, I mean nothing, is worth fighting over.  There are better ways to solve problems.

6.  Always tell your husband how many shopping days he has until your birthday or anniversary.

7.  Give said husband a list of items you would like.  Husbands aren't mind readers.

8. Don't burn bridges.  You may have to cross those bridges again.

9.  If you can't get customer satisfaction from one rep, call back until you get someone who can help you.  it will usually be a different person.  They all have different ideas of resolution.

10.  Learn to laugh at yourself.

11.  Learn to enjoy a good soak in the tub.  Instant meditation.  A place you can do your best thinking/problem solving.  I didn't learn this until I was 45 yrs old.  I always thought you had to hurry and shower.

12.  As you age remember to fill in those thinning brows -- but don't be too heavy handed.

13.  If you want to look old and/or unkempt wear ugly or even worn shoes.

14.  Wedge shoes are much easier to walk in than heels.  I'm just sayin'.  Sooner or later I had to say something about shoes.

15.  I'm not as smart as I thought I was, but I can do more than I thought I could.  (Some days I am as smart as I think and other days I am saying to myself,  "What made you think you could do that?")

16.  If you don't like someone, do something nice for them or pray for them every day.  It's amazing how that will change how you feel.

17.  If you are in a situation where you are feeling nervous, insecure, or shy, just think to yourself, "These people do not know how cool I am."  Well, it usually calms me down.  No lack of self-confidence here.

18.  If you have bad news to deliver to a client or parent, (I worked in a high school) do it right away.  The burden is then off your shoulders.

19.  Learn to enjoy and laugh at life.  Some times the mundane is so funny and enjoyable.

20.  If you have a big--overwhelming job to complete, do one or two pieces of it at a time.  Then take a break.  It helps.

21.  And last but not least -- always open your mail by the waste basket.  I don't do this, but I wish I did.

22.  Okay -- one more -- to smile in a photo,  for you nervous smilers, press your tongue behind your top teeth for a more natural smile.  Also when standing, bend one knee.  It always looks better

Okay -- there are my life lessons.  Do you have any to add?

6 comments:

rich said...

I have something to add! When did you learn that lesson about not fighting? You might have told me I swear.........it must have been since noon today. :)

I am also thinking about adding the other lesson you learned that we talked about but you are too embarrassed to tell.... but it is one of your major rules. Maybe a little later you will find it under comments.

andrea said...

Okay Crowley, you are in trouble for that comment. I'm making a list of ways you can make it up to me.

Twisted Sister said...

LOVE THESE! You are brilliant! :-)

nancy said...

Oh, Andrea, I wish you lived close by and could be my BFF and we could hang out, shop, cook, sew together and play with our adorable grandkids. Love your life lessons. Love you!

rich said...

Hint.....a huge life lesson of Andrea's involves public toilets. Awww....let's just slip that cat out of the bag...... It is simply: Never use them unless you absolutely have no other alternatives.

Margo and Kenny Neider said...

You are right on sister! I love your life's lessons - they are mine too!