Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My 10 BookChallenge

My Favorite Mary Cassett portrait!



I pulled this from Facebook to expand the reasons I love the books from my 10 book challenge on my blog!

I have been nominated by Susan Mull to the 10 book challenge. I have so many favorites, I could have the top 1000. I have favorite authors rather than books. If I like someone, I will read everything they have written -- sometimes twice. The following books all broadened my thinking. Thanks Susan Mull. This made me think about why I love reading so much. I challenge Patty Zeugschmidt, Maurine Proctor, Rosemary Curtis Neider and Corinn Seely.
I especially love books that have great character development. I love a good mystery or a really wonderful story.  I am an English major so I do look at books a little differently, but I love identifying with  one of the characters and determining if I would make the same decisions.  I use to love to ask my students that same question.  Whatever the reason, I love to read.

So here we go

1. Kristin Lavransdatter Trilogy by Sigrid Undset- an historical account of life in 14th century Norway - I read this book many many years ago and it remains one of my favorites.  The author is a Nobel prize award winner for literature and a wonderful writer.  This book is said to be grammatically perfect. Who knows?  I read the translation.

2. Mila 18 by Leon Uris - one of Uris' most powerful and heartfelt works about a determined band of Warsaw Jews in a bunker under Mila 18 Street and their resistance to the Nazi occupiers. Such a good read.

3. Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet - who wouldn't love Tom Builder and the story of building the cathedrals in Europe. What rich history this book brings.  I also loved the follow-up books.

4. Unbroken: A World War II story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand -- this inspiring story of Louie Gambrini gripped me from page one. Hillenbrand is a wonderful writer who pulls you into this man's life and you feel like you are right there experiencing the awfulness of war. He truly was unbroken in his will to survive. Might be my favorite book of all time.

5. Kite Runner by Kaled Hosseini - a truly educational and eye opening account of the political turmoil in Afghanistan. Interesting that two on my list are about Afghanistan. This is about boys and their dads, betrayals and lies, and their heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs. A book that stays with you long after you have finished it. Excellent character development.

6. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - a book I read to my young sons. I loved this classic adventure of a young lad and his coon hounds. Who could ever forget Old Dan and Little Ann and the Indian legend of the Red Fern. I attended a lecture about the book by Wilson Rawls and loved him too. He is a great story teller.

7. Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan -- probably not my favorite of Amy Tan, but such a wonderful glimpse into lives that had a huge impact on me. I went to the movie before I read the book and was mostly lost. Then I read the book and bought the movie. This book made me view the Chinese culture in a different light for the fight time. It's an emotional look at mothers and daughters and their relationships. The story about the piano lesson is in one of the high school anthologies. Excellent book! My favorite quote, "You have best quality heart." 

8. Five Smooth Stones by Ann Fairbairn - I read this book so long ago I had to look up the author. It was published in the turbulent civil rights time during the '60s. It is an excellent look at life and love between an African American man and a Caucasian woman. The five smooth stones are indeed a reference to the five stones that David uses against Goliath. David, the hero faces significant struggles but has such warmth you fall in love with him. It is a classic well worth reading.

9. Caravans by James Michner - I remember picking this book to read for a literary club review. I wanted a Michner book, but they were all so long and then I found Caravans. It's about half the length the other Michner works. He is such a great writer and I loved every page. It's about a girl who mysteriously disappears in Afghanistan and the person sent to find her. It has lots of cultural history that is fascinating to read.

10. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom - Here is an amazing story of a real-life super hero. Corrie was a survivor of one of Hitler's concentration camps. This book will touch your heart and soul. The story is what is great about this book. Very memorable and life changing.

Other books I have loved:  Sally Hemmings, Gone With the Wind, Huckleberry Finn or anything by Mark Twain.  I've read everything that Nelson DeMille has written except one.  I like Lee Childs, Berry, Grisham, Baldacchi, and several other modern day spy writers.  The classics are always favorites:  Jane Eyre, Of Mice and Men, Ivan Denisovich, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Old Man and the Sea, anything Shakespeare, A Separate Peace, The Secret Garden, Ethan Frome.  My list goes on and on!

 Another book I love is the Book of Mormon and try to read these scriptures every day as well as the other scriptures.  This book has shaped my life in every way. Well, I am a Mormon! So that makes sense doesn't it?   It gives me the strength and faith I need to survive unbroken.

Since I have vision issues with my macular degeneration, I do all of my reading on my iPad.  I love the magic of using my iPad.  Love you Steve Jobs!  Happy Reading to all!

No comments: