Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I know - belated.  See Heartbroken below. Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers I know.  I love you all.  As moms we wake up every morning thinking and worrying about our kids, our husbands, the tasks we should have finished yesterday, but I remember the day I had my first baby and was still in the hospital.  I wanted to call my mom right away from the recovery room  I was thinking.......  Wow.............I owe my mom a present on my birthday every year.  She went through this for me.  and...........The older I get the more I appreciate all the stages of motherhood -- they are many. 

I had a different experience at motherhood.  Rich and I waited 8 long years for our first baby to arrive and two more came soon after.  We felt so blessed to have three wonderful sons.  Because we had waited so long, I cherished every moment of every day.  It seems like being a mother was what I was born to do.  I loved it.

I have enjoyed the examples of all of the young mother bloggers.  My daughters-in-law are such amazing moms.  I love watching them nurture and care for my beautiful grandchildren.  Each mom gives something special to her children.  It's a very busy life -- being a mom.  Thanks to all moms -- especially mine.

         Yes, here's my mom.  She's 86 and going strong.  Darryl takes her to all of the Five-Guys grand openings.  He says she is his best asset.  Here she is in her uniform.

My Mother:  She always worked hard to make sure our family had everything we needed.  She always thought of others and she was the last to get. 

Here are some of the other lessons from MOM.


1. She always wanted me to put my best foot forward -- even if that foot hurt.

2. She gave me the courage and confidence to be and try anything and everything.

3. Mother taught me to enjoy even the mundane humors of life and to especially to learn to laugh at myself.

4. She taught us always to honor our grandparents and father. She engendered in our family a fierce family loyalty and pride.

5. She always told me that my brothers and sister would always be my best friends.

They are..........
6. Mom gave me a life long love of literature that started at a very young age. I loved going to literary club with her occasionally. What a great gift.  It's no wonder I majored in English in college.  Her influence is so present in my every moment.

7. Mother also taught me to look for life lessons in all that I do. She believes you can learn something from everyone and everything.

8. Mother taught me to be thrifty. She wanted us to stretch our dollars.

9. Mother always taught me the value of hard work and the value of a job well done.

10. I wish I had learned her ability to never procrastinate. I'm still working on that one.

11.  The best lesson from Mom..............."figure it out".  When life gets tough, just figure it out.  Nothing is so overwhelming that it can't be figured out.

There are so many other lessons I've learned from my mom. She has always been a great example to me. I can see her in my minds eye kneeling at her bedside in prayer. I still catch her there.   She loves the Lord and honors her covenants.  She made sure her kids were in church every week even when their dad was not active.  She involved her kids in church in every way.  We all still remember her coercing us into a fashion show when she was in charge of the grand opening of  the new DI  in Pocatello.  How can you beat that?  We got to keep one item.  That is one thing I still haven't figured out with my kids.  How did she talk us into so many things?

My mom is the best. I don't have to worry about growing old.........no problem. She still thinks I'm a kid. The rest of you should be so lucky.

I sure love my mom!

My own Mother's Day was restful and fun.  My thirty something sons grilled steaks and prepared a delicious dinner.  We had a royal feast.  What valiant men they are becoming.  I had asked them each to email me a spiritual experience rather than giving me gifts.  They are my gift -- for eternity.

I love being a mom.

2 comments:

Cath said...

Does your Mom work at Five Guys????

andrea said...

Well...........my brother owns the franchises in Utah, Idaho and Northern California. He is continuing to open new areas. Whenever they have an opening, he takes her. She is so much fun. He says he tells customers that he has tried to fire her, but she won't leave. She loves it. So, no she doesn't really work there, but don't tell her that.