Sunday, December 20, 2009

Where We Grew Up

In our trip to the West, Rich and I had the opportunity to visit the old house on Tyhee Road. My brother Mark and his wife Renee talked with the contractor who is remodeling the house and took us by for a visit. Amazing! So many of the ideas implanted in my heart and brain were nutured there. So many happy memories. Loved that community and everyone who lived there. Tyhee School has been gone for many years -- replaced by a new building. Our house, now completely gutted and changed is very different, but our home none the less.

Wow..............I discovered
I grew up in a time and place that reallydoesn't exist anymore. Mom and Dad operated the Boyd's IGA store in a small farming community outside of Pocatello, Idaho. Across the street from the store was Tyhee Church and our house was up the hill. Across the street from the house wasTyhee Grade School. Everything important very close together. I don't think anyone could have asked for a more secure or a happier place to grow up. The community thrived with everyone taking care of each other. All the families in the community loved each other and depended on one another. That I miss.


Andrea and her charge (Darryl)

Mark, Vicki, Mike and Andrea...................loved those kids.

Mark and Julie -- Mark always had the nifty attire

Andrea's real live dolls. The car was a turquoise blue


The swing (the biggest I have ever seen).....................in the picture below................you could fly over the moon.


The apple trees, the raspberry patch, the horses, and pastures are gone. However, little children hand prints are still there in the cement. My brothers and sister -- forever will live there . My hand prints were from when I was about five. The younger kids were on the sidewalk by the swing. Kenny and I were by the house along with Aunt Carolee.



Above............Christmas dinner, I think. Ham prepared by Boyd Neider. A long time family tradition. Julie, Andrea,Grandma Hansen, Grandpa Hansen, Kenny, Mike, Mark, Donna. Boyd taking the picture and holding Darryl. Look at Grandma's beautiful table with the china from Japan that Uncle Nathan sent. Love it. Mom gave it to me -- I love it so much. Since Julie is about two years old here. I am about age 11.


As I walked through the old house, I could literally feel the memories that were made in that home. Just like the handprints in the cement, the memories are there. Part of the original hardwood floors were still there -- dining room and in Mom and Dad's bedroom. Wow what feelings came back to me. What happy feelings. Thanks Mom and Dad for making our home such a happy place.

Rich commented that it appeared to be a "less than desirable community". How could he have known or felt the love and presence of our humble, but loving community in Tyhee. I didn't know we weren't rich......................we had everything and couldn't have asked for a happier setting. Growing up in the '50s and '60s was very different, but we were the lucky ones. We had so much.

The magic of the home and community lives on in my heart. We were one big happy family. We loved our friends, our neighbors and each other. All my life I have continued to believe in the magic of my childhood community. I am the person I am due to my experiences in Tyhee. It was a special place and time. A real community. I would like to give a big hug to Tyhee and to thank my family, the Davises, the Lewises, the Hatches, the Wards, the Nashes, the McNabbs, the Johnsons, the Miles, the Fitches, the McMinns, the Empeys, the Stingers, the Facers, the Cutlers, the Satos, the Bringhursts and many more for what I was given.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Very cool Mom! Thanks for sharing. And how about your legs in that picture? Vavavoom!!!

rich said...

Actually I believe I said that it looked like a very desireable neighborhood. However, Tyhee as it exists now reminded me of the saying that my Great Grandfather Robison had about the similar Idaho community he lived in, Bone (nice name). He would say, "If you don't like beautiful women, don't come to Bone. I would have to say the same thing about Tyhee.