Sunday, March 28, 2010

We're Just Pathetic

Well, Rich had the joint replaced on his right thumb on March 18th.  They took out the trapezoid bone and replaced it with a tendon from his arm.  All went well.  Two days later and  recovering at home, his opposite knee started swelling and became very painful.  By day three he could barely walk.  One good leg -- one good arm.  Then some where I picked up a UTI.  I called and asked for an antibiotic.  By the next day, we were so sick.  Rich, an insulin dependent diabetic with a swollen and very hot knee was in so much pain.  The pain meds for the thumb were not even touching the knee.  Naturally we were scared to death of some crazy hospital infection.

Smile is fake.


Back to the dr.  Everyone concerned about Rich's knee.  Change of meds.  Blood work.  We have lost a week some where and still are just pathetic.  After 8 days, I am still running a fever.  Rich's leg is now doing better and he can walk.  The thumb -- no problem.  He is now in a smaller cast for the next five weeks.  I think I am back to the dr tomorrow if the fever is still there.  As I said, we are just pathetic.

3 comments:

rosemary said...

Well shoot! I feel so sorry for you both but am happy you at least have each other! Tie a knot and Hang on! I love and miss you both.
Rosy

Cath said...

Ouch! My goodness! Can you please post an update so we can stop worrying about you?? That fake smile is too good. Wow - when it rains, it pours!

andrea said...

Okay, we are on the mend. My antibiotic was causing the side effects of high fever (103), chills, malaise.............after 6 days I figured it out and stopped. (Macrobid) Rich's knee started mending after a week so the crisis is averted. We are not quite as pathetic now.