Friday, January 30, 2009

Wedded Bliss

Rich and I voted last night and decided to stay married for yet another year. I hope none of you were worried about the outcome, but you never know how the tide will swing on voting day. It's really amazing that after all these years -- we still like being together. At least most of the time. Coincidentally it was our anniversary so we try to vote on the matter once a year. We use to say (ha ha) that we would divorce, but neither of us would take the kids, so we had to stay together.



We got to spend the day together on the 28th as the heavens opened and poured down snow and freezing rain. Yahoo! My school was closed so Rich took the day off and we celebrated. He spoiled me this year with beautiful Roses -- a lunch date and we ended up at an afternoon movie. However, he almost canceled the vote when I spilled the entire very large box of popcorn. He said, "That's $7.00 worth of popcorn you know." He decided to keep me anyway and replaced the popcorn.

I think marriage can just get better. There have been moments when I really felt like killing Rich, even threatened, but then I would come back to reality. The Neiders don't want me back. Who would take care of me and my kids? I would have to take care of myself and there wouldn't be anyone around to make me laugh. So, the threat has remained only a threat! I never really planned how I would kill him so that is a good sign I think.

Life with Rich is just crazy and fun. I have always said that the only thing predictable about him is that he is unpredictable. For example: A few years ago I pulled up to the house (anniversary weekend) and he scooped me into the car and said, "We are going away for the weekend."
"Really," I said. "Where?" Then he told me I would find out when we arrived. Well, I asked him about clothes, etc. He told me not to worry he had taken care of everything. Arrive we did at a hotel at the Inner Harbour in Baltimore. Well, he kept packing in suit cases and I was amazed and curious to find out what was in the suit cases. What would I be wearing on this fun weekend? Many suitcases for two days. When I opened one suit case, it had only shoes. A lot of shoes. He told me that he knew I would want several pair to choose from....................ha ha ha. A whole suitcase full of shoes. So funny.

The other wonderful husband/wife moment of that weekend was about my hair. I stress over my hair all the time anyway and feel like it is one of my best features so I work hard to be cute. You know what I am talking about. Anyway, at this time I was wearing my hair "naturally curly". I had just spent a long time in the bathroom getting it just so. When I came out he innocently and in all seriousness said, "Okay, hon as soon as you get your hair done, let's go." Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. That was the end of the curly phase. It was so funny because he didn't really know what he had said until I laughed and told him how long I had been working on my hair.

Husbands are funny. Love'em tho'. Rich has learned that any comment about hair and weight is not going to be a well-received comment no matter what is said -- so better run rather than answer the question of, "Does this make me look fat?"

So we have been married longer than the Israelites wandered in the desert. Man that is a long time of wedded bliss. But, without my better half there would literally and figuratively be no music in my life. I better hurry and think of something fun for him before he calls for a recount of the vote.

My own Rock Star


Rock Star and Grandpa with Emery

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! I always get a smile reading your posts. Thanks for your kind, encouraging words on my blog recently. Question: Did you say we're "cold" or "bold"? In any event, stay warm. By the way, I don't know if Shelly has told you, but my mantra these days is, "...tight as a drum..." Thinking of you often- Nancy

Andrew & Melanie said...

What beautiful flowers!!!

Channa said...

Happy Anniversary from the Riley girls!

Shelly Crowley said...

We're sure glad you keep him around too-our boys would be done with us if there were no Grandpa Crowley around!

Margo and Kenny Neider said...

You are the best couple. Glad you got to skip work and play on your anniversary. I understand everything you wrote. Having a great marriage takes working at it! You are a great examples to me! Love to you both.